My family and I love to go apple picking in the Berkshires during the fall. We also all love pancakes so I created a recipe that incorporates all the juicy deliciousness of fresh apples with fiber-rich ingredients like oats and chia for a winning breakfast combination.
- ½ cup quick cooking oats
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ apple, skin on, finely diced
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
1. Combine oats, egg whites, vanilla, apples, cinnamon and chia seeds in a bowl and stir until everything is thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
2. Liberally coat a skillet with oil spray and warm over medium heat.
3. Pour or spoon the mixture onto the skillet, making about 5 small pancakes.
4. Cook each side for 1 to 2 minutes, until they turn golden brown. Reapply oil spray between flips to ensure the pancakes don’t stick to the pan.
5. Enjoy the pancakes plain or topped with yogurt or a drizzle of maple syrup or honey.