Who says you can't have dessert in the morning? This pie-inspired waffle brings the warm spices and sweet fruit flavor of all-American apple pie to the breakfast table.
- 3⅓ cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4½ tablespoons sugar
- 6 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 2¾ cups milk
- 1 cup butter, melted
Apple Pie Filling
- 2 strips orange zest
- 1 strip lemon zest
- 5 apples, peeled and diced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2½ tablespoons honey
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Caramel Milk Jam
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Waffle batter
- Apple pie filling
- Vanilla ice cream
- Caramel milk jam
For the batter:
1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients except for the egg whites.
2. In separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
3. Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the batter.
For the apple pie filling:
In a shallow pan over medium heat, sauté the orange and lemon zest until aroma is released. Add remaining ingredients and continue to cook, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat once the outside of the apples feel squishy but the inside is still firm.
For the caramel milk jam:
1. Place the sugar in a sauce pot over medium heat. Cook, swirling occasionally until golden brown.
2. Stir in the butter, one cube at a time, letting melt and fully incorporate between each addition.
3. Slowly whisk in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla and stir to incorporate. Strain if needed.
For the waffles:
1. Preheat waffle maker. Coat with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Using a 6-ounce ladle, pour waffle batter into waffle maker. Sprinkle 1/4 cup apple pie filling evenly around the waffle batter. Close waffle machine and cook for 2½ minutes.
3. Remove waffle and transfer to a large plate. Top with remaining apple pie filling, vanilla ice cream and caramel milk jam.