Warm fall spices, brown sugar and apples combine in these irresistible muffins. The addition of candied pecans on top makes them the perfect thing to serve to houseguests or friends at a holiday brunch.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners. Spray the liners with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the apple, apple cider, lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, eggs, and applesauce.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, and allspice.
- Adding it in thirds, gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry. Do not overmix.
- Use a 1/3-cup measure to fill the muffin liners. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the brown sugar and stir for 30 seconds. Add the pecans and stir to coat for 2 minutes.
- Remove muffins from oven and carefully top with a spoonful of the pecan mixture. Return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes; transfer the muffins to a baking rack to cool.