This is my go-to summer trifle when it's sunny outside.The berries cooked with the crème de cassis are so sweet and aromatic. It's also a very simple recipe to prepare.
Technique tip: Fold the mascarpone and custard together using a spatula. This will help it keep its thick consistency, so it holds well in the trifle.
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 cups fresh raspberries
- 5 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 3 tablespoons crème de cassis
- 1 pound cake, homemade or store-bought, sliced
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 cups custard, homemade or store-bought
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream, softly whipped
1. Place 2 cups of each of the berries and sugar in a saucepan over a low heat and simmer for 2 minutes, then pour in the crème cassis and set aside to cool.
2. Place a layer of the pound cake at the bottom of a large trifle (or glass) bowl, and spoon the berry mixture on top.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the mascarpone, vanilla extract and custard until smooth (make sure it doesn't get to runny — you want it to remain slightly thick). Spoon the custard mixture on top of the cake and berries, followed by the softly whipped cream.
4. Chill for a couple of hours in the fridge. Just before you serve, decorate the top of the trifle with the remaining blueberries and raspberries.