Bigger is always better! This giant crispy cereal treat is an eye-catching delight and sweet way to finish off Fourth of July festivities. It also doubles as décor and adds a festive touch to your holiday table.
Technique tip: For an easy take-home gift use a star cookie cutter to stamp out rice crispy treats, then add a lollipop or popsicle stick and wrap in cellophane. Lightly grease your cookie cutter and your star shapes will easily pop out.
- 3 cups packed mini marshmallows
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Red and blue food coloring
- Sprinkles (optional)
1. Line an 8- to 10-inch star cake pan with plastic wrap.
2. Microwave marshmallows and butter in a large bowl in 20-second increments, stirring in between, until melted and smooth. Add vanilla extract. Fold in rice cereal and salt. Press rice mixture evenly into the cake pan. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Place a serving plate over the pan. Flip, inverting cake onto the plate. Remove the pan and gently remove plastic wrap.
3. Divide the powdered sugar between three bowls and add 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon water to make a glaze. Leaving one bowl white, tint others blue and red. Using a fork, drizzle glaze on top of the cake. Add sprinkles, if desired.