Surprise your guests with an unexpected dessert like this sticky toffee pudding, a dessert that can stand up to a hearty meal like roast beef.
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for ramekins
- 6 ounces dried Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Eggnog, for serving
- Store-bought or homemade salted caramel sauce, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter 6 4-ounce ramekins.
2. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, apple pie spice and salt; whisk well.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine the dates and 1¼ cups water; bring to a simmer and cook until the dates are soft, about 10 minutes.
4. Add baking soda, and mix well to combine. The mixture will foam up.
5. Meanwhile, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.Beat in eggs and vanilla until well combined, about 2 minutes more.
6. Add the date mixture and the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, a third of each at a time, mixing after each addition.
7. Divide batter among ramekins, filling each no more than 3/4 full
8. Place ramekins on a baking sheet, and bake 30 to 35 minutes, until just set.
9. Turn out hot puddings into serving bowls. Pour eggnog around the base of the pudding and drizzle with salted caramel sauce; serve immediately.