Go all out on dessert with fudgy blondies filled with a layer of creamy salted caramel.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup salted caramel sauce, store-bought or homemade
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Line a 8- or 9-inch square metal baking pan with parchment paper.
3. Whisk the all-purpose and whole wheat flours, baking powder and salt together in a bowl and set aside. 4. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together on medium speed for 3-4 minutes, until the sugar is light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl.
5. On low speed, stir in the eggs one at a time until fully incorporated, then stir in the vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture a few spoonfuls at a time until incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips.
6. With a spatula, scrape half of the batter into the prepared pan and spread to the edges of the pan. Pour the salted caramel sauce over top and spread to form an even layer. Next, add the remaining half of the dough and spread to the edges.
7. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, just until the blondies are no longer shiny on top and barely starting to brown at the edges. Do not over-bake, or the blondies will not be soft and fudgy.
8. Cool the blondies in the pan on a wire rack to room temperature.
9. Remove the blondies from the pan and cut into 16 squares. Store leftover blondies in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 5 days.