Al grills his avocado to achieve that coveted charred flavor, then dices it up and serves it as a side to the shrimp with a squeeze of lemon, a little salt, a little pepper and a sprinkle of crushed red pepper.
Technique tip: When grilling avocado, make sure to purchase ripe but firm avocados.
- 2 avocados
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Get your grill warm.
2. Cut avocado in half and remove the pit. Leave skin on.
3. Brush with olive oil and season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
4. Grill, cut side down, for 3 minutes. Do not touch.
5. Scoop inside of avocado and dice. Avocado should be soft and creamy. Adjust for seasoning and serve.