Al likes to keep his avocado toast super simple. "Nothing fancy," he says. "No huge pieces of bread like they serve at restaurants. All I need is a nice piece of whole wheat bread toasted."
But the thing that really sets Al's avocado toast apart from the many, many others is the fact that he rubs garlic on the bread after he toasts it. It's a garlic bread-avocado toast mashup.
- 1 slice whole-wheat toast
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 garlic clove
- 1/2 avocado
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Pinch flaky sea salt
- Micro arugula greens (optional)
1. Toast a slice of whole-wheat bread.
2. Drizzle one side of the toast with olive oil, then halve a clove of garlic and rub it all that same side.
3. Halve an avocado and reserve one half for another use (using the onion method!). Scoop out the flesh with a spoon and mash it onto the toast using a fork.
4. Sprinkle red pepper flakes and flaky sea salt on top, then add micro arugula greens (or any other micro green). Drizzle a little bit of olive oil over everything, if desired.