My daughter Courtney came up with this recipe and it is absolutely incredible. I didn't think apple-cider doughnuts could get any better, but this dish proved me wrong.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 apple-cider doughnuts, 2 days old, chopped into cubes
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Spray an 8- by 8-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, cream, granulated sugar and vanilla until fully combined.
4. Place the doughnut cubes into the bottom of the pan.
5. Pour the custard mixture in and press the bread down to soak up the custard base. Sprinkle brown sugar on top.
6. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
7. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes until the filling is set, not jiggly, and the top is golden brown. Remove from oven, let cool and serve.