Who knew that ginger ale and tomato paste make a great substitute for spice rub? This pulled pork recipe is easy, feeds an entire family and makes enough for leftovers! It's truly a 6-ingredient wonder that yields an incredibly tender and flavorful result.
Technique tip: Reduce cooking liquid by simmering to create a delicious sauce for pork.
Swap option: Use chicken thighs if you don't eat pork.
- 1 (6-pound) boneless pork shoulder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup Sriracha
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- One 12-ounce can ginger ale
1. Season boneless pork shoulder on all sides generously with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Place sliced onions in the bottom of the slow cooker, then place pork shoulder on top of the onions, fat-side-up. Add tomato paste, Sriracha and garlic around and on top of pork. Pour ginger ale over the top and cover.
3. Cook for 5-6 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.
4. Once finished cooking, remove from the slow cooker, reserving sauce. Let cool slightly.
5. Once cool enough to handle, shred meat with 2 forks or tongs, removing and discarding any large pieces of fat. If sauce is too loose, reduce down and then add meat.