If you've ever made roasted potatoes and been disappointed that they aren't crispy enough, try chef Michael White's trick. The key to his ultra crispy oven-roasted potatoes (called Patate Al Forno in Italian) is to make sure that the potatoes are patted completely dry before they are placed in the oven.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1½ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into small wedges, patted dry
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary needles, coarsely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400°.
2. Put a medium baking dish in the oven and preheat it for 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Working quickly, slide out the oven rack and add the oil to the baking dish, then add the potatoes and use a wooden spoon to toss them with the oil.
4. Slide the rack back into the oven and roast he potatoes, stirring every 10 minutes to ensure even cooking, until nicely golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
5. Remove the baking dish from the oven and scatter the rosemary over the potatoes.
6. Season with the salt and pepper. Toss well and serve.