These sweet and spicy pastries are a unique twist on the classic pigs in a blanket. The corn syrup glaze adds a sweet touch that contrasts with the spicy sausage. Serve on their own or along with your favorite mustard for dipping. When purchasing the chorizo be sure to buy fully cooked (not fresh) sausage. I like D'Artagnan brand.
- 1 pound spicy Spanish-style chorizo (about 5 sausages)
- 1 14-ounce package puff pastry
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350 º F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Cut each chorizo link lengthwise into quarters, then in half again to create 8 pieces approximately 2 inches in length. Repeat with rest of sausage links to create 40 pieces total.
3. Roll out one puff pastry sheet (this works best on a flour-dusted surface), and cut into 20 rectangles. Repeat with second sheet for a total of 40 rectangles.
4. Take one chorizo piece and place across the narrow end of one of the puff pastry rectangles, and roll up tightly, pinching seam slightly to seal. Place seam-side down on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, and repeat with rest of chorizo and pastry.
5. Bake about 25 to 30 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Remove from oven and use a pastry brush to brush on corn syrup on each pastry. Return to oven for 2 minutes to set glaze. Serve warm.