Flatbreads are a great vehicle for cheese and eggs, making them an ideal choice for breakfast pizzas. Since this ridiculously easy recipe uses only 3 ingredients (oil, salt and pepper don’t count), you want to use ingredients that pack a lot of flavor. Look for naan or pocket-less pita seasoned with onion, garlic, olives, masala or chiles, and cheese with jalapenos, dill or caraway. Of course if you want to gild the lily, a little prosciutto or crumbled bacon would not be a bad thing!
- 1 flavored pocket–less pita
- 1 tablespoon extra–virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 large egg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat the broiler and position a rack 10 inches from the heat.
2. Heat an oven–proof skillet. Brush the pita with the oil and add it to the pan, bottom–side up. Cook over moderate heat until lightly golden, about 1 minute. Flip the pita and cook until the underside is browned, about 2 minutes; do not flip again. Sprinkle the cheese on top, leaving a well in the center. Crack the egg into the well and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil until the cheese is bubbling and browned in spots and the egg is just set, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a plate and serve with hot sauce (optional).
Grace Parisi is a New York City-based food writer, cookbook author and food stylist. Her book, Get Saucy, was nominated for a James Beard award. Her latest book, Quick Pickles comes out in Spring 2016. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter.