Champuru means "something mixed" in the Okinawan language, and it can refer to this dish or sometimes Okinawan culture: a blend of Ryuku, Japanese and Southeast Asian cultures and cuisines. This stir-fried dish consists of tofu with vegetables, meat or fish.
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 pound tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 bunch greens, chopped including stems (spinach, kale and broccoli are all good options)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
1. Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat and stir-fry tofu for about 2 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove tofu from pan.
2. Add garlic, carrots and stems of greens, and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
3. Add leaves and sprouts and browned tofu to pan. Stir-fry to combine for 2 more minutes. Add soy sauce.