A fire broke out early Wednesday in a studio where the Black Eyed Peas were recording a new album, destroying about $500,000 in gear and instruments, authorities and band members said.
Band members lit candles during the recording session and forgot to blow them out, causing the 3 a.m. fire at Glenwood Place Studios, Capt. Ron Bell said.
Damage to the building, where the group was recording the album “Monkey Business,” was estimated at $50,000. No one was injured.
The band, which performed at the Democratic National Convention, said it was devastated by the loss.
“Guitars, drums, drum kits, keyboards, microphones, classic instruments that we’ve collected with our worldly travels are now destroyed,” band member Will I. Am told KABC-TV.