Fresh from promoting his latest “Rambo” film, Sylvester Stallone said Wednesday he wouldn’t mind squaring off against the private investigator accused of tapping his phone.
“Why not? I don’t want to be left out,” Stallone jokingly replied when asked if he wanted to testify in the upcoming trial of Anthony Pellicano.
The action star added that he had not received a subpoena, but his assistant had been called to testify.
Federal prosecutors have said Stallone, 61, was one of several stars who had their phones illegally wiretapped or had their names run through police databases at Pellicano’s direction.
The private eye and four co-defendants are scheduled to stand trial beginning next week on charges that include conspiracy and wire fraud. All have pleaded not guilty.
Prosecutors have indicated that Pellicano was looking for dirt that his clients could use for threats, blackmail or to gain a tactical advantage in litigation.
Stallone said he wasn’t surprised to hear the allegations that such activity occurs in Hollywood.
“In this town, nothing seems as it is,” Stallone said. “There’s so much skullduggery.”
Assistant U.S. Attorney Dan Saunders declined to comment about whether Stallone would be required to testify. Prosecutors intend to withhold their list of possible witnesses until the first day of trial.
Stallone’s calls were intercepted in February 2002. Authorities haven’t provided details about the conversations, but the eavesdropping came during the same month Stallone filed a lawsuit against his former business manager over investment advice involving Planet Hollywood restaurants. The suit was eventually settled.