With the takedown of Undercovers, TV's lowest-hanging fall shows all have now been plucked. Or have they? What, if anything, is left to get?
Here's a look at the networks' surviving (for now) lower-rated series:
1. Life Unexpected: It was the CW's least-watched show last week (1.5 million viewers, 123rd place, per the latest Nielsen rankings); it's the CW's least-watched show of the season. And yet it's still alive, thanks to fan love. Or, as show-runner Liz Tigelaar put it to our Megan Masters, "It's not dead yet."
2. One Tree Hill: Surprisingly, it's the CW's next-least-watched show of the season (2.1 million), but it has been picked up for the full season.
3. School Pride: No show on the Big Four networks drew fewer viewers last week (2.2 million. 112th place). No show on the Big Four has averaged fewer viewers this season. No, not even all the canceled ones.
4. The Good Guys: A Fox-low 2.7 million viewers last week (103rd place).
6. Community: Thanks to The Apprentice and School Pride, this one's not NBC's least-watched, and, yes, it did get the fullest of full-season orders, but at least one show (The Whole Truth--on ABC, for what it's worth) was canceled for averaging about the same audience as the cult comedy: 5.4 million.
7. Fringe: If not for The Good Guys, it would have been Fox's least-watched show last week (4.8 million, 72nd place).
8. Medium: Big-, not medium-sized audiences, are expected of CBS shows, and Patricia Arquette's veteran vehicle ain't getting with the program. Last week, it was the network's least-watched scripted series by nearly 3 million viewers (7 million, 44th place).
9. Better With You: For the season, the comedy is ABC's least-watched scripted series that hasn't been canceled. Still, with an average audience of 7.6 million, it's not far off the pace off the apparently solid Cougar Town.
Here are a couple of other quick highlights from the ratings week that was:
- Private Practice's "Did You Hear What Happened to Charlotte King?" episode scored the show a season-high 10.2 million viewers (26th place). Among women 18-34, only Grey's Anatomy drew a bigger crowd.
- Demi Lovato in rehab? Hannah Montana ending? Jonas L.A. done? No worries. The Disney Channel machine has cranked out another hit: The new comedy Shake It Up (6.2 million) was cable's most-watched comedy or drama series after Hannah Montana (7.1 million).
Finally, here's the complete Top 10 from last week's Nielsen Media Research broadcast rankings:
Dancing With the Stars (Monday), 19.9 million viewers Sunday Night Football, 19.4 million Dancing With the Stars (Tuesday), 16.9 million Sunday Night Football pregame, 16 million 60 Minutes, 15.1 million World Series Game 5, 15 million Criminal Minds, 14.6 million The Mentalist, 14.4 million The Big Bang Theory, 14 million CSI, 13.96 million