Despite reports last week that the Brooke Shields-fronted drama “Lipstick Jungle” had been canceled, the star herself is still heading to work.
“They’re not breaking down the sets,” Shields told Us Weekly at an event last weekend. “We’re still working. We still have more to do, so it’s erroneously presented that we’ve been canceled, thank God.”
Last week, the Associated Press reported that two network executives, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed the plugs were being pulled on “Lipstick Jungle” and Christian Slater’s “My Own Worst Enemy.”
But according to Shields, the two shows do not currently share the same fate.
“They thought that because ‘My Own Worst Enemy’ has been shut down that the same thing had happened to us, and it’s not true,” she told reporters, according to Us.
Meanwhile, Ben Silverman, NBC Entertainment’s co-chairman, told the New York Times that the network will produce the 13 episodes it originally ordered, which may explain why Shields and company – Kim Raver and Lindsay Price — are still on set. (Msnbc.com is a joint venture between NBC Universal and Microsoft.)
“Our bosses are saying, ‘You’re not canceled, don’t worry. We’re just trying to figure out how to make this make sense,’” she said.
Additionally, the show was recently moved to a Friday night time slot, a rescheduling which actually resulted in 50 percent more viewers, according to the NY Times.
Silverman added that NBC may order more episodes if “Lipstick Jungle” “grows more.”
And in a move similar to what happened with “Jericho” on CBS last year, fans of “Lipstick Jungle” are playing a role in keeping the series alive. Shields said fans have been sending tubes of lipstick to NBC President and CEO, Jeff Zucker.
“It’s been insane,” she went on. “I think that the public outcry has been crazy, and it’s kind of wonderful.”