IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Real-life emergency on ‘Guiding Light’

Mercury spilled onto the stage floor during taping today
/ Source: The Associated Press

A staged emergency turned into a real life emergency on the Manhattan set of the CBS soap opera “Guiding Light.

A blood pressure device being used as a prop broke apart just before the taping of an emergency room scene today, and a small amount of mercury spilled onto the stage floor.

A spokesman for New York City’s Department of Environmental Protection says no immediate injuries were reported, but elevated levels of the toxic substance were found in the air.

Cast members, many dressed as doctors or nurses, and crew members were held for testing, then cleared to leave. The studio will remain closed until Friday to clear the air.

Mercury is a poisonous metal that can damage a person’s brain, nervous system and kidneys. Exposure can cause tremors, irritability and memory loss.