IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Radiohead plans standard release of new album

After the digital release of Radiohead’s latest album sent shock waves through the music industry, the band announced Monday that “In Rainbows” will have an old-fashioned release.A physical version of the British alt-rockers’ seventh studio album will hit music stores Jan. 1. (Earlier Monday, the band had announced Jan. 2 as the release date.) ATO Records Group will put out the disc in Nor
/ Source: The Associated Press

After the digital release of Radiohead’s latest album sent shock waves through the music industry, the band announced Monday that “In Rainbows” will have an old-fashioned release.

A physical version of the British alt-rockers’ seventh studio album will hit music stores Jan. 1. (Earlier Monday, the band had announced Jan. 2 as the release date.) ATO Records Group will put out the disc in North America, where it will bear the band’s imprint: TBD Records.

Which label would land the right to distribute “In Rainbows” had been a matter of considerable speculation after Radiohead concluded their long-term contract with music giant EMI Group.

The band made the album available for download via their Web site last month, letting fans determine how much to pay. In a study released last week, consumer research firm comScore Inc. found that 62 percent of the people who downloaded “In Rainbows” in a four-week period opted not to pay a cent. The remaining 38 percent paid an average of $6, according to comScore.

The results of the study were drawn from data gathered from a few hundred people who are part of the firm’s database of 2 million computer users worldwide. The firm, which has permission to monitor the computer users’ online behavior, did not provide a margin of error on the study.

Radiohead’s digital release of “In Rainbows” was hailed by some as a shrewd move at a time of industrywide declining CD sales. Others viewed it as a publicity stunt that amounted to the band giving away its music.