Luciano Pavarotti has been given the go-ahead by doctors to leave the hospital where he was admitted last week with a fever, but he plans to remain for a few more days just to be sure, his wife said Tuesday.
Manager Terri Robson had said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that Pavarotti, 71, would be leaving the hospital in Modena “imminently” after doctors had “happily given him the go-ahead to leave hospital and resume his summer holiday.”
Later in the day, however, the opera superstar’s wife, Nicoletta Mantovani, told reporters outside the clinic that he had chosen to remain for a few more days because he feels more tranquil there than at home, the ANSA news agency reported.
Pavarotti, who underwent surgery for pancreatic cancer last year, was hospitalized Wednesday after a routine examination revealed a high temperature, Robson said.
She said a newspaper report that the tenor was suffering from pneumonia was “completely exaggerated.”
She declined to be more specific, citing doctor-patient confidentiality.
“He is looking forward to getting back to teaching his young singing pupils as soon as he is out of hospital and next month plans to get back into his Modena recording studio to resume work on his new album of sacred songs,” she said.
Robson, who visited Pavarotti on Monday, said he was in “wonderfully high spirits” when she saw him.
Pavarotti underwent surgery in July 2006 in a New York hospital. Pancreatic cancer is one of the most dangerous forms of the disease, though doctors said the surgery offered improved hopes for survival.
At the time of the operation, Pavarotti had been preparing to resume his farewell tour. He has made no public appearances since then.