The elderly parents of Grammy-winning recording artist “Weird Al” Yankovic were found dead in their home, apparently victims of carbon monoxide poisoning, officials said.
Nick and Mary Yankovic were found dead Friday in their suburban San Diego home by relatives who were worried because they had not seen the couple in a while, said sheriff’s Sgt. Conrad Grayson.
Paramedics found Nick Yankovic, 86, in a chair in the front living room. His 81-year-old wife was on the bathroom floor.
A wood fire had been set recently in the fireplace, Grayson said.
“The house was full of smoke when they opened the door,” Grayson said, adding that the family members found the flue closed.
Attempts to reach “Weird Al” Yankovic, 44, by telephone through his agency, the William Morris Agency, were unsuccessful Saturday.
A neighbor described Yankovic’s parents as nice people who were proud of their son.
“Everybody who came to the neighborhood knew Nick,” said John Buehman, who lives across the street. “They’re going to be missed, big time.”
Yankovic was scheduled to appear Monday in Grand Forks, N.D., as part of a tour for his new album, “Poodle Hat.”