BOSTON (Reuters) - U.S. security agencies are investigating a threat against theaters planning to show Sony Corp's controversial movie about an assassination of the leader of North Korea, and so far they have seen no real sign of an active plot, two U.S. officials said.
A hacking group published what appear to be more internal emails on Tuesday and promised a "bitter fate" for those who went to see the movie, "The Interview" following a cyber attack that severely damaged movie studio's network.
An official at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and another U.S. security official cast doubt on the threat.
"At this time there is no credible intelligence to indicate an active plot against movie theaters within the United States," the DHS official said.
Sony is already reeling from the disclosures in documents released by the hackers, which have publicly exposed internal discussions important to the company's future.
Reuters has not been able to verify the authenticity of the more than 100 gigabytes of documents that have been distributed via the Internet. The company has confirmed that at least some are authentic, apologizing for the loss of sensitive employee data and some comments made by executives.
(Reporting By Jim Finkle and Mark Hosenball; Writing by Peter Henderson; Editing by Grant McCool)