Paul McCartney is to rock Britain’s Glastonbury music festival for the first time this summer, his spokesman said Friday.
The former Beatle, 61, will take top billing at Britain’s biggest open-air music event June 26, the middle day of the three-day spectacular,
It will be his first time at the festival, which was headlined last year by R.E.M., Radiohead and Moby.
His performance will cap a 13-date European tour taking in cities such as Lisbon, Prague and Oslo and featuring favorites from the Beatles, Wings and McCartney’s solo career.
“Touring really has been a lot of fun for us and the audiences have been great. So why stop now? I’m looking forward to playing to and visiting some new places,” McCartney said.
McCartney became a father again in October when his second wife Heather Mills gave birth to Beatrice Milly. He has three adult children from his marriage to first wife Linda, who died of breast cancer in 1998.