It appears desperate times call for desperate measures.
As the official date of "Carmageddon" nears, the LAPD has come up with a resourceful way to get announcements about the multi-day closure of Los Angeles' 405 freeway to the masses:
Get the locals tweeting about it. Preferably the locals who have millions of Twitter followers.
As the dreaded closure of the notoriously congested major artery approaches, officials reached out to the likes of Ashton Kutcher, Demi Moore, Lady Gaga and other celebs to tweet reminders about the pending shutdown.
"LAPD askd me 2tweet: 405fwy btwn 10 &101 will b closed July16-17," Kutcher wrote Thursday. "In xchange I would like a free pass on that stoplight tickt IT WAS YELLOW."
And plenty of other celebs (go team E!) are getting in on the action, whether at the behest of authorities or not:
- "Stay away from the 405 Fwy the weekend of July 16 &17, it will be closed btwn the 10 Fwy and 101 Fwy North &South!," Kim Kardashian announced today.
- "I HATE TRAFFIC! So I'm staying local July 16-17 when they close the 405 freeway between the 10 &the 101 freeways!" Khlo Kardashian Odom added.
- "Count down to the closure-405 Fwy closed July 16-17 btwn 10 &101 Fwys, Plan Ahead, Avoid the Area or Stay Home!" tweeted Kourtney Kardashian.
- "Countdown to the closure... 405 freeway closed July 16-17 between 10 &101 freeways. Plan ahead people! Avoid the area or stay home!," Kendall Jenner tweeted.
- "Stay away from the 405 freeway the weekend of July 16 &17, it will be closed between the 10 Fwy and 101 Fwy North &South!" offered Kylie Jenner.
- "Plan Ahead, Avoid the Area or Stay Home, July 16-17, 405 Fwy Closed btwn 10 &101 Fwy. I'm gonna BBQ," chimed in Rob Kardashian. (Sounds like a plan!)
- "Oh goody. Leaving LAX on a Friday night of a holiday weekend at rush hour on the 405. #BeHomeInTwoHours," wrote Michelle Branch.
- "If Carmageddon doesn't kick off with Truckasaurus rampaging down the 405, I'm going to be seriously disappointed," offered Wil Wheaton.
- " #Battle :LosAngeles should give everyone in LA what the 405 closure will be like," went the tweet from Drew Carey.
-" LA friends have you heard about Carmegeddon? The 405 will close on July 16 &17. Stay at home preparing for The Captains on 7/21 on Epix. MBB," noted William Shatner.
- "Dear Twitter Friends who live in the LA area, the 405 freeway will be closed July 16 &17. Plan ahead. LAPD is calling 'Carmageddon,'" advised David Lynch, who obviously doesn't want his pals following any lost highways.
--Additional reporting by Natalie Finn