Southern-accented political demon — is that too harsh? — President Frank Underwood from "House of Cards" is a threat to just about everyone he meets.
Kevin Spacey, on the other hand, is just about as nice as they come.
Kevin Spacey: Frank Underwood would get behind Trump, ‘to shove him’Feb. 24, 201605:33
RELATED: 'House of Cards' Season 4 trailer: Frank and Claire Underwood are at war
Spacey stopped by TODAY Wednesday and talked with anchors Savannah Guthrie and Willie Geist about the show, the real presidential race and being a bit of a good luck charm for a National Hockey League team.
The actor, whose character just received a presidential portrait at The Smithsonian's National Portrait Gallery, talked what little he could of "House of Cards" without becoming "the Spoiler-in-Chief" — as he put it.
Here's what we did learn about the upcoming fourth season of the Netflix original series:
- Tensions are still high between Underwood and his first lady, Claire Underwood.
- The show will explore how being in the spotlight — the Oval office — changes the Underwoods and "how they try to achieve what they are setting out to achieve politically, as well as personally," Spacey said.
Spacey on the show's influence on the binge-watching phenomenon:
- "I think we might have made it a little more prevalent, but the truth is people were binge-watching before that. Box sets really proved to us — that's one of the reasons why the ultimate decision to release the entire series at once was made was because we could see the evidence that people were staying home on the weekends watching five seasons of a show."
RELATED: New 'House of Cards' trailer: 'America deserves Frank Underwood'
On how President Underwood would react to Donald Trump:
- He'd "get behind just to shove him."
- "It's been interesting because as we've gone along and we're in the middle of a presidential election on our show and obviously we're in the middle of a real presidential election, I'm going to try to not blend fact and fiction. I'll just avoid that question."
On President Underwood's portrait being the first fictional president's portrait in the museum:
- It says "that I have something on all the trustees."
- "It was an incredible night. We did it as if it was a genuine presidential unveiling of a portrait."
RELATED: New 'House of Cards' trailer shows Kevin Spacey playing with a full deck
On the NHL's Florida Panthers' good luck charm being a hoodie with Spacey's photo on it — or "Spacey in space":
- "They give this out at every game to the most valuable player... and, yes, I've become their sort of good luck charm and I'm very pleased. They've been doing incredibly well and I'm very excited for them."
The fourth season of "House of Cards" will become available on Netflix March 4.