A judge again refused to dismiss a lawsuit filed by the wife and stepdaughter of Christian Brando alleging they were often abused and threatened by him.
Deborah Brando and her 13-year-old daughter filed suit in December citing violation of their civil rights, assault, domestic violence, battery and emotional distress.
Superior Court Judge Edward A. Ferns rejected a motion to dismiss the case in April, and on Tuesday Ferns said he saw nothing different to change his mind.
Attorney Brian Oxman, representing Deborah Brando, said he was pleased with Ferns’ ruling.
Brando and his wife met in 1990, the year he pleaded guilty to manslaughter for killing his sister’s boyfriend Dag Drollet. Christian Brando spent six years in prison. They married in October 2004 and divorced earlier this year.
In August 2004, the two moved into the Mulholland Drive home of legendary actor Marlon Brando, Christian’s father who had died a month earlier.
The lawsuit, which seeks unspecified monetary damages, said Christian Brando, now 48, “began a pattern of domestic violence, sexual abuse and physical assaults and batteries against Ms. Brando and her daughter.”
“[Brando] repeatedly struck Ms. Brando with his hands and fists and threatened to kill her in the presence of her daughter,” the suit said.
Brando was charged Jan. 10, 2005, with two counts of spousal abuse and he pleaded guilty. He was placed on three years’ probation and ordered to drug and alcohol rehabilitation as well as a spousal-abuse prevention program.