With the overwhelming success of Disney Channel’s “High School Musical 2” on the small screen, it’s no secret Disney is itching to ride the wave of success with a big screen sequel.
Reports surfaced Wednesday that the third movie is in trouble. Stars Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens are reportedly holding out for more money.
When “Access Hollywood” spoke to Efron last week at the “High School Musical 2” premiere, he assured us it was something he wanted to do. “A third movie would be a dream come true. Finishing ‘High School Musical’ with a third movie that would be in theaters is just sort of a tribute to everything we kind of did here.”
At the same premiere, Hudgens told “Access Hollywood” she had not seen a script yet, but “if it’s good, of course we are all going to join back in. We all have so much fun together. So, why wouldn’t we do another one?”
“Access Hollywood” has confirmed with their representatives that both Efron and Hudgens are still in talks to do the third movie.
Walt Disney Studios today released the following statement: “There is no contractual obligation for any of the cast members to return. That said, we are in active negotiations with all of the principle cast members and are feeling optimistic.”
Back in February, Disney announced plans for a 2008 feature film sequel with a Halloween themed dubbed “Haunted High School Musical.” Today Disney says they have scrapped plans for the Halloween theme and instead will focus on the senior year of key characters at East High. The original writer from the first two films, Peter Barsocchini, is writing the script. The original producers and director are also on board.
Director Kenny Ortega confirmed to “Access Hollywood” last week that he is definitely on board, too.