Ricky Gervais says that despite the acrimony over his job hosting the Golden Globes, he was asked to consider returning next year.
In a diary of his experience hosting the Globes for Heat magazine, Gervais says that organizers asked him to "consider a third year." Gervais said he was inclined to turn it down.
"I don't think I should," he wrote. "I don't know what I could do better. I certainly couldn't get more press for them, that's for sure."
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which presents the Globes, denied that such an offer was made to Gervais.
"There is no truth to this rumor," association president Philip Berk said in a statement Tuesday. "We have not asked him to come back. Nice try, Ricky."
Gervais' hosting job in January — his second time around — quickly became infamous because of the pointed jokes he made about many Hollywood stars. Berk earlier said Gervais "definitely crossed the line."
The NBC broadcast drew nearly 17 million viewers, slightly more than last year's.
Finding a host for next year is far from the Foreign Press Association's most pressing concern.
The association sued the show's longtime producer, Dick Clark Productions, in November, claiming the company entered a broadcast agreement with NBC without the association's permission.
Dick Clark Productions has denied wrongdoing and asked a federal judge to dismiss the case. That motion is scheduled to be heard in March.
The organization is also facing a lawsuit by the former longtime publicist for the Globes claiming the association engages in payola schemes for nominations and awards.
The allegations have been denied by the association, a group of about 90 reporters covering show business for overseas outlets.