With all of Hollywood to choose from — Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Johnny Depp, Scarlett Johansson, Lea Michele, Jon Hamm, Jennifer Lopez were in attendance — who did Ricky Gervais insult this year?
Best opening jokes: The host of the show, Ricky Gervais, didn't hesitate sticking it to Charlie Sheen, Johnny Depp, the cast of Sex & the City, Hugh Hefner and...well, just relive some of his more caustic comments:
- "It's gonna be a night of partying and heavy drinking, or as Charlie Sheen calls it, breakfast."
- "It was a big year for 3-D movies: Toy Story. Despicable Me. Tron. Seems like everything this year was three-dimensional — except the characters in The Tourist."
- "And I'd like to quash this ridiculous rumor going around that the only reason The Tourist was nominated was so the Hollywood Foreign Press could hang out with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. That is rubbish. That is not the only reason. They also accepted bribes."
- "All that happened was some of them were taken to see Cher in concert. How the hell is that a bribe? Really, do you want to go see Cher? No. Why not? Because it's not 1975."
- "Also not nominated: I Love You, Philip Morris. Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor. Two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay. Sort of the complete opposite of some famous Scientologists then. ...My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke."
Most surprising supporting actor: Christian Bale proved that not only is he not the brooding thespian, but actually a very funny British guy. (Unless he was just channeling Gervais in some kind of Method actor thing.)
Best reaction: Robert DeNiro laughing like crazy at Gervais' opening remarks revolving around an oral sex joke. If only that new Fockers movie had been so funny.