Get the latest from TODAY
Zsa Zsa Gabor, who was seriously injured in a 2002 car crash, has settled her lawsuit against the driver for $2 million, her attorney said Friday.
Gabor, 88, suffered broken bones in the November crash and received stitches to close wounds to her head, hands, arms and legs. The film and television actress was a passenger in the front seat of a car that struck a light pole on Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood. The car was driven by her hairdresser, Jaren Millard, who suffered minor injuries.
Gabor is now partially paralyzed and uses a wheelchair, her attorney said. She spent months recovering from her injuries before returning to her Bel-Air home last year.
Gabor sued Millard for medical expenses and compensation for pain and suffering. Her husband, Frederic von Anhalt, sued for loss of companionship.
According to the settlement, Gabor will receive $1.75 million and her husband will receive $250,000. The trial had been scheduled to begin Monday.
“There’s no amount of money that can compensate for the suffering Mr. Millard has caused,” Gabor’s attorney, Ronald Jason Palmieri, said Friday.
Millard’s attorney, Paul Phillips, said his client intends to pay the settlement. He said Millard forced Gabor to put on her seatbelt moments before the crash.
“I was emotionally devastated to think that anything I did hurt Zsa Zsa,” Millard said in a statement. “She and I have shared a loving friendship for more than two decades, and it tore me apart to see her in any kind of pain."