"Dancing With the Stars" fans didn't get to vote on the show's latest shocking elimination.
It was revealed Friday that Brooke Burke-Charvet will no longer be co-hosting the show alongside Tom Bergeron when the competition returns next month. The TV personality, who won season seven alongside pro Derek Hough, revealed on Twitter that ABC gave her the pink slip after seven seasons of interviewing celebs on the glitzy ballroom bash.
The network confirmed the casting change Friday. "She's been a wonderful part of the 'Dancing with the Stars' family since her triumphant win in season seven and will unquestionably be missed by our entire team," Conrad Green, the show's executive producer, said in a statement. "We'd like to thank Brooke for her years of great service."
Bergeron, who has hosted the show since it premiered in 2005, shared a few characters of sympathy (and his usual humor) with his now latest ex-co-host. (Original co-host Lisa Canning was replaced after one season by Samantha Harris, who was replaced in season 10 by Burke-Charvet.)
Burke-Charvet seemed surprised by her dismissal from the show, which is heading into its 18th season. "I've seen my fair share of shocking eliminations in the ballroom but this one takes the cake," she said in a statement to E! Online.
Fans of the long-running ballroom bash were quick to respond to the news, with some expressing shock at the change.
But not everyone was sad to see her go. Viewers who aren't a fan of her sometimes stiff Q&As with contestants cheered the news.
There's been no word yet as to whether the show will bring on another co-host, or if Bergeron — who has won an Emmy for his quick wit on "DWTS" — will handle the duties alone.
Burke-Charvet's dismissal isn't the only change ahead of the new season. Earlier this month, the network announced that the services of music director Harold Wheeler and his 28-member live band would no longer be needed.
"Dancing With the Stars" kicks off season 18 on March 17 on ABC.