Oscar darlings Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem are reportedly engaged.
According to various online reports, the 35-year-old actress is planning to walk down the aisle with the 40-year-old actor.
“They’re telling friends they will get married,” a friend of the couple, who reportedly heard the news directly from one of them, told The New York Daily News’ Rush & Molloy.
Us Weekly also reported news of the couple’s hush-hush engagement.
“They tried to keep it very private and quiet,” a source told the mag.
After the couple was spotted leaving an OB/GYN clinic in Madrid last month, many blogs and gossip Web sites wondered if the Spanish actress was pregnant — but another friend of the couple told the paper that the couple has shot down reports that she is expecting.
“They say the pregnancy stories aren’t true,” the friend said.
In August, the actress told Britain’s Psychologies magazine that she wasn’t sold on taking a trip to the altar, but that she felt strongly about starting a family.
“I don’t know if I believe in marriage,” she told the mag. “I believe in family, love and children. I want to have babies one day but not right now. When I do it I want to do it really well. I want it to be my best project in life.”
Cruz’s possible baby project might be unclear, but her next film project, “Nine,” will hit theaters on November 25. Bardem is currently working on the big screen adaptation of the popular book “Eat, Pray, Love” with Julia Roberts.
When contacted by The New York Daily News, reps for both Cruz and Bardem had no comment.