An Indian-American husband and wife, a gay couple and two Muslim friends are among the 12 teams that will compete in “The Amazing Race” this fall.
The three-time Emmy-winning reality show is moving to Sunday nights at 8 p.m. on CBS. Its 10th season will start in Seattle, with the teams traveling westward for the first time and stopping in China, Mongolia, Vietnam, Kuwait and Madagascar, among other countries.
They will travel more than 40,000 miles in under 30 days in pursuit of the $1 million prize.
“This cast is as different as it’s ever been,” executive producer Bertram van Munster told the Television Critics Association’s summer meeting. “It’s meltdown city on this trip.”
Van Munster said the language barrier made traveling difficult for the teams, along with 130-degree heat in Kuwait and filming in Communist countries. In Vietnam, the government insisted on viewing daily footage but didn’t request any changes or cuts.
“The show worldwide is extremely popular and that has helped us,” he said.
The teams announced Saturday are:
- Vipul Patel, 29, and Arti Patel, 26, of Windermere, Fla. They are the first Indian-Americans on the show.
- Brothers Erwin Cho, 32, and Godwin Cho, 29, of San Francisco.
- Tom Rock, 39, and Terry Cosentino, 45, a gay couple from New York City.
- Friends Kellie Patterson, 22, and Jamie Hill, 22, of Columbia, S.C.
- Friends Lyn Turk, 32, of Birmingham, Ala., and Karlyn Harris, 32, of Helena, Ala.
- Husband and wife David Conley, 32, and Mary Conley, 31, of Stone, Ky.
- Friends Bilal Abdul-Mani, 37, and Sa’eed Rudolph, 39, of Cleveland, who are Muslims.
- Friends Peter Harsch, 35, of Laguna Beach, Calif., and Sarah Reinertsen, 31, of Trabuco Canyon, Calif. Sarah has an artificial leg.
- Rob Diaz, 31, and Kimberly Chabolla, 28, of Los Angeles, who are dating.
- Friends Tyler Denk, 29, and James Branaman, 27, of Los Angeles, who are models.
- Friends Dustin Konzelman, 24, of Riverside, Calif., and Kandice Pelletier, 24, of New York City, both former Miss USA contestants.
- Father and daughter Duke Marcoccio, 52, and Lauren Marcoccio, 26, of Warwick, R.I.