"Sesame Street" has taught young viewers a lot of lessons over the past 47 years — for instance, feelings matter and words have meaning.
So when faithful fans of the show learned that three veteran residents of the "Street" — Bob McGrath, Emilio Delgado and Roscoe Orman, aka Bob, Luis and Gordon — were being "let go," they put their feelings into words.
Producers apparently heard them loud and clear.
Sesame Workshop CEO Jeffrey D. Dunn said on Tuesday it was possible the three could return to the show.
In a statement, Dunn called the three "a key part of the Sesame family" and apologized for "misunderstandings" about their roles.
Dunn said he planned to meet with them to discuss how they might fit into the show's new half-hour format.
"In our latest season, the story lines written did not include appearances by these three actors and we certainly could have done a better job of communicating with them about our ongoing episode plans," Dunn said in the statement.
"I have been in touch with each of them to meet in person about how we best adapt their talents to the current content needs and preschool media landscape, in a way that honors their historic contributions."
"We are very grateful for the many loyal fans of Sesame who continue to care so deeply about the show and what it means to them," Dunn said.
Dunn's comments came a few days after Orman and Delgado signaled the three were still working out a plan to stay involved with the show.
"Due to your overwhelming reaction regarding the status of myself and others on the show, the new producers of Sesame Street have reached out to us with an expressed desire to continue our longstanding relationship, to be initiated with a meeting in September," Orman told TODAY in a statement Monday.
While it's not yet clear just what that continued relationship will include, it's an encouraging step following the news of the firings, which McGrath revealed last week.
Speaking on a Muppet Cast podcast, McGrath said the show was undergoing a "major" re-tooling.
"HBO has gotten involved also," he said. "And they let all of the original cast members go, with the exception of Alan Muraoka — who is probably 20 years younger than the rest of us — and Chris Knowings, who is also young," he said.
"Sesame Street" initially responded to the news with a tweet explaining the show was constantly "evolving our content and curriculum, and hence, our characters, to meet the educational needs of children."
But the message wasn't well received.
Now, however, Orman is remaining optimistic about the future — and that upcoming meeting with producers.
"Hopefully, this will result in the inclusion of veteran cast members in upcoming productions," his statement continued. "I look forward to sharing with you at such time, the results of that conversation."
Follow Ree Hines on Twitter.