Our editors have independently selected the items featured in this article because we think they’re worth knowing about. Shop TODAY has affiliate relationships so we may get a small share of the revenue if you buy something through our links.
Sure, you could give dad a tie. Or some golf balls, or grilling utensils, or whatever else dads seem to like.
But why not give him the joy of snuggling close for a read with his children? Picture books singing dad’s praises give him an intimate moment with his child, a love song across generations. (Or, some burp jokes. There are lots of those, too.)
Here are 20 books that are the perfect gift ideas for Father's Day.
- 1. "Dandy," by Ame Dyckman and Charles Santoso, $9 (usually $18), Amazon
Daddy's lawn is perfect until a pesky dandelion appears and his daughter gets attached. In this funny tribute to a father's love, Daddy may need to change his idea of perfection.
- 2. "Hair Love," by Matthew A. Cherry and Vashti Harrison, $14 (usually $18), Amazon
Zuri's hair lets her have superpowers, but she'll need Daddy's help to get ready for a special day. A short feature film of the story was funded by a Kickstarter campaign seeking more diversity and hair love in animation.
- 3. “Pet Dad,” by Elanna Allen, $12 (usually $17), Amazon
Dad does not want a pet, so Plum gets the only pet she can: Dad. He’s lots of fun, but the training is more complicated than she expected.
- 4. “Dad By My Side,” by Soosh, $14 (usually $17), Amazon
With Dad by her side, this little girl can do anything. Tender illustrations show the special relationship between father and daughter.
- 5. “Because I’m Your Dad,” by Ahmet Zappa, illustrated by Dan Santat, $8, Amazon
A great choice for the “cool Dad” — this monster from rocker Ahmet Zappa and rock star illustrator Dan Santat is a fan of drum sets, burping and spaghetti for breakfast.
- 6. “Your Baby’s First Word Will Be Dada,” by Jimmy Fallon, $7 (usually $8), Amazon
Join the whole animal kingdom in trying to get baby to say Dada in this debut from "The Tonight Show" host.
- 7. "My Papi Has a Motorcycle," by Isabel Quintero and Zeke Peña, $13 (usually $18), Amazon
When Daisy Ramona soars across asphalt with her Papi, she feels his love and explores their changing neighborhood.
- 8. "The Dad Lab: 50 Awesome Science Projects for Parents and Kids," by Sergei Urban, $12 (usually $18), Amazon
Make slime, stand inside a giant bubble or produce your own electricity with these at-home experiments for families to try together.
- 9. “My Dad Used to Be So Cool,” by Keith Negley, $13 (usually $18), Amazon
What could possibly have made Dad give up rock bands and motorcycles? Don’t worry, Dad’s still cool to his son.
- 10. “Daddy, Papa and Me,” by Leslea Newman, Carol Thompson, $7, Amazon
Two dads means double the fun in this rhyming board book. Or check out these picture books that celebrate LGBTQ pride.
- 11. “Drawn Together,” by Minh Lê, illustrated by Dan Santat, $15 (originally $18), Amazon
This one is for grandpas. A boy and his grandfather have trouble bridging their language gap, until they find a new way to communicate beyond words.
- 12. "My Dad Is Amazing,” by Sabrina Moyle, illustrated by Eunice Moyle, $8, Amazon
Dad is tougher than a rhino wrestler and cuddlier than a ton of bunnies in this Technicolor board book for your littlest ones.
- 13. “With My Daddy: A Book of Love and Family,” by Jo Witek, illustrated by Christine Roussey, $12 (usually $17), Amazon
This whimsical book from the creators of “In My Heart” takes a tour of emotions felt with dad, from excitement and adventure through calm reassurance. Chew-resistant pages make it good for little ones.
- 14. “Raj and the Best Day Ever," by Sebastien Braun, $12 (usually $17), Amazon
Raj plans the best day ever with his Dad, but when Dad forgets his wallet, can super Raj save the day?
- 15. “My Dad Is the Best Playground,” by Luciana Navarro Powell, $7, Amazon
Dad is the highest swing and a great climbing wall in this celebration of playful dads.
- 16. “If I Didn’t Have You,” by Alan Katz, illustrated by Chris Robertson, $10 (usually $18), Amazon
What could a father and child do without each other? They entertain ideas of staying up late and using the child’s room for a personal butler, but each knows they’d rather have each other.
- 17. "Daddy Depot," by Chana Stiefel and Andy Snair, $9 (originally $18), Amazon
When Lizzie sees an ad for Daddy Depot, she thinks she can find the dad of her dreams, but discovers the model she has isn't so bad.
- 18. “Lawrence in the Fall," by Matthew Farina and Doug Salati, $12 (usually $17), Amazon
Lawrence doesn't know what to share for show-and-tell, but Papa has just the answer.
- 19. “Tell Me a Tattoo Story,” by Alison McGhee, illustrated by Eliza Wheeler, $14 (originally $17), Amazon
This tattooed dad has touching stories behind his ink, indelible illustrations of his love.
- 20. “Be Glad Your Dad… Is Not an Octopus,” by Matthew Logelin and Sara Jensen, Jared Chapman, $10 (usually $17), Amazon
Your dad might be perfect, but at least he’s not a dung beetle (who would pile poop in your room). This funny take on animal dads has fun animal facts for kids.
Shop TODAY takes care to recommend our favorite items chosen by trusted experts and editors, as well as inform our readers of great deals, customer favorites, and newsworthy products from around the web. For more on our process, click here.