Our editors independently selected these items because we think you will enjoy them and might like them at these prices. If you purchase something through our links, we may earn a commission. Pricing and availability are accurate as of publish time. Learn more about Shop TODAY.
Sure, you could give dad a tie. Or some golf balls, or grilling utensils, or whatever else dads seem to like.
But why not give him the joy of snuggling close for a read with his children? Picture books singing dad’s praises give him an intimate moment with his child, a love song across generations. (Or, some burp jokes. There are lots of those, too.)
Here are 20 books that are the perfect gift ideas for Father's Day.
- 1. "Dandy," by Ame Dyckman and Charles Santoso, $9 (usually $18), Amazon
Daddy's lawn is perfect until a pesky dandelion appears and his daughter gets attached. In this funny tribute to a father's love, Daddy may need to change his idea of perfection.
- 2. "Hair Love," by Matthew A. Cherry and Vashti Harrison, $14 (usually $18), Amazon
Zuri's hair lets her have superpowers, but she'll need Daddy's help to get ready for a special day. A short feature film of the story was funded by a Kickstarter campaign seeking more diversity and hair love in animation.
- 3. “Pet Dad,” by Elanna Allen, $12 (usually $17), Amazon
Dad does not want a pet, so Plum gets the only pet she can: Dad. He’s lots of fun, but the training is more complicated than she expected.
- 4. “Dad By My Side,” by Soosh, $14 (usually $17), Amazon
With Dad by her side, this little girl can do anything. Tender illustrations show the special relationship between father and daughter.
- 5. “Because I’m Your Dad,” by Ahmet Zappa, illustrated by Dan Santat, $8, Amazon
A great choice for the “cool Dad” — this monster from rocker Ahmet Zappa and rock star illustrator Dan Santat is a fan of drum sets, burping and spaghetti for breakfast.
- 6. “Your Baby’s First Word Will Be Dada,” by Jimmy Fallon, $7 (usually $8), Amazon
Join the whole animal kingdom in trying to get baby to say Dada in this debut from "The Tonight Show" host.
- 7. "My Papi Has a Motorcycle," by Isabel Quintero and Zeke Peña, $13 (usually $18), Amazon
When Daisy Ramona soars across asphalt with her Papi, she feels his love and explores their changing neighborhood.
- 8. "The Dad Lab: 50 Awesome Science Projects for Parents and Kids," by Sergei Urban, $12 (usually $18), Amazon
Make slime, stand inside a giant bubble or produce your own electricity with these at-home experiments for families to try together.
- 9. “My Dad Used to Be So Cool,” by Keith Negley, $13 (usually $18), Amazon
What could possibly have made Dad give up rock bands and motorcycles? Don’t worry, Dad’s still cool to his son.
- 10. “Daddy, Papa and Me,” by Leslea Newman, Carol Thompson, $7, Amazon
Two dads means double the fun in this rhyming board book. Or check out these picture books that celebrate LGBTQ pride.
- 11. “Drawn Together,” by Minh Lê, illustrated by Dan Santat, $15 (originally $18), Amazon
This one is for grandpas. A boy and his grandfather have trouble bridging their language gap, until they find a new way to communicate beyond words.
- 12. "My Dad Is Amazing,” by Sabrina Moyle, illustrated by Eunice Moyle, $8, Amazon
Dad is tougher than a rhino wrestler and cuddlier than a ton of bunnies in this Technicolor board book for your littlest ones.
- 13. “With My Daddy: A Book of Love and Family,” by Jo Witek, illustrated by Christine Roussey, $12 (usually $17), Amazon
This whimsical book from the creators of “In My Heart” takes a tour of emotions felt with dad, from excitement and adventure through calm reassurance. Chew-resistant pages make it good for little ones.
- 14. “Raj and the Best Day Ever," by Sebastien Braun, $12 (usually $17), Amazon
Raj plans the best day ever with his Dad, but when Dad forgets his wallet, can super Raj save the day?
- 15. “My Dad Is the Best Playground,” by Luciana Navarro Powell, $7, Amazon
Dad is the highest swing and a great climbing wall in this celebration of playful dads.
- 16. “If I Didn’t Have You,” by Alan Katz, illustrated by Chris Robertson, $10 (usually $18), Amazon
What could a father and child do without each other? They entertain ideas of staying up late and using the child’s room for a personal butler, but each knows they’d rather have each other.
- 17. "Daddy Depot," by Chana Stiefel and Andy Snair, $9 (originally $18), Amazon
When Lizzie sees an ad for Daddy Depot, she thinks she can find the dad of her dreams, but discovers the model she has isn't so bad.
- 18. “Lawrence in the Fall," by Matthew Farina and Doug Salati, $12 (usually $17), Amazon
Lawrence doesn't know what to share for show-and-tell, but Papa has just the answer.
- 19. “Tell Me a Tattoo Story,” by Alison McGhee, illustrated by Eliza Wheeler, $14 (originally $17), Amazon
This tattooed dad has touching stories behind his ink, indelible illustrations of his love.
- 20. “Be Glad Your Dad… Is Not an Octopus,” by Matthew Logelin and Sara Jensen, Jared Chapman, $10 (usually $17), Amazon
Your dad might be perfect, but at least he’s not a dung beetle (who would pile poop in your room). This funny take on animal dads has fun animal facts for kids.