IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Mom of twins in toppled dresser scare: Learn from our 'close call'

The parents who released video of their 2-year-old boy rescuing his twin brother are hoping other families can learn from their mistake.
/ Source: TODAY

A family who experienced a harrowing incident in which a dresser toppled on their twin toddler boys is hoping other parents of small children can learn from their mistake.

Looking to warn other parents about the dangers of unsecured furniture, Utah mom Kayli Shoff decided to release nanny cam video of her son Bowdy, 2, rescuing his twin brother, Brock, after Brock was trapped beneath a dresser when it fell over.

Both boys were initially stuck under the dresser, which toppled when Brock climbed into an open drawer, until Bowdy wriggled free and then saved his brother by pushing the dresser off him.

"We did have a really close call," Shoff told TODAY's Miguel Almaguer. "We are lucky."

RELATED: Toddler rescues twin brother after dresser topples on them

The Shoffs were upstairs when the incident occurred last week and had no idea what happened because there was no loud crash or crying from the boys. Brock was trapped for nearly two minutes until Bowdy was able to push the 155-pound dresser off his brother.

"The twin bond is 100 percent real,'' Shoff said. "They love each other.

"(Bowdy) sat there for at least eight or 10 seconds and assessed the situation. Like, how can I help Brock? My brother is hurting, he's crying, I need to help him! It pushed so effortlessly that we were just amazed."

Many dressers come with kits to anchor them to the wall, or one can be purchased online or at a local hardware store. The Shoffs have since anchored the dresser to the wall.

RELATED: 'It's the perfect storm': Toppling TV sets are injuring more kids, study finds

Furniture falling on children has become a persistent and dangerous problem. One child dies every two weeks from a TV, appliance or piece of furniture falling on them, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

"I hope that people watching the video will react to it and it'll make them feel a little something,'' Shoff said. "I want parents to know that you can't baby proof your house 100 percent. You've got to take the small steps and just do it."

The CPSC recommends securing televisions to the wall and using anti-tip brackets to secure top-heavy furniture. Items that tempt children to climb, such as toys and remote controls, should be removed from the top of televisions or furniture.

IKEA reissued a safety warning last year after the death of a third child in a two-year span who was killed by an IKEA chest of drawers tipping over. The company urges anyone owning certain dressers to anchor them to the wall to avoid injury.

IKEA reached a $50 million wrongful death settlement on Dec. 22 with the families of three children who were killed by falling dressers. It also recalled 29 million chests and dressers in the wake of the deaths, but many of the recalled units were never returned. IKEA said in a statement to TODAY that it includes restraints with its products.

The dresser that fell on the boys is from IKEA, according to the Shoffs, but was not part of the recall. They do not blame the company, instead saying it was their fault for not securing the unit.

Follow writer Scott Stump on Twitter.