Toy distributor Mega Brands Inc. recalled about 2.4 million Chinese-made toys Monday, because small magnets could fall out and cause internal damage.
These tiny magnets could fall out of the toys and be swallowed or inhaled by children. If more than one magnet is swallowed, they can attach to each other and cause intestinal perforation, infection or blockage, which can be fatal.
Mega Brands is recalling 1.1 million Magtastik and Magnetix Jr. preschool toys. The company and the Consumer Product Safety Commission have received 19 reports of magnets falling out of these toys. In one incident an 18-month-old boy put a magnet in his mouth, but it was not swallowed. In another, a 3-year-old boy needed medical treatment to remove a magnet from his nasal cavity.
The recall also includes about 1.3 million MagnaMan magnetic action figures. The company and commission have received 25 reports of magnets falling out of the figures. No incidents involving magnets from the action figures have been reported.
In March 2006, Mega Brands recalled 3.8 million Magnetix magnetic building sets because one child died and four others were seriously injured after swallowing tiny magnets in the toys. About a year later, in April 2007, this recall was expanded to include an additional 4 million Mega Brands magnetic toys.
Monday’s recalled products were sold at toy stores around the country, including Wal-Mart, Target, Toys “R” Us and Kmart between January 2005 and December 2007.
For details on the recall, or on how to return the toys and receive a free replacement, consumers can call 800-779-7122. Information is also available at megabrands.com or cpsc.gov.