At TODAY we take care to recommend items we hope you’ll enjoy! Just so you know, TODAY may get a small share of the revenue.
Using interviews with specialists, online reviews and personal experience, TODAY editors, writers and experts take care to recommend items we really like and hope you’ll enjoy! TODAY does have affiliate relationships with various online retailers. So, while every product is independently selected, if you buy something through our links, we may get a small share of the revenue.
Parents, raise your hands if you can relate: You get your kid's camp supply list, and you just, well, sigh.
The list is long. The days are short. So, what's a parent to buy?
To simplify the process, we consulted experts at REI, who provided us with guidance on what to get and what you can safely leave at home (hint: cute fashion sandals that won't work in chilly pools or lakes).
To start, the biggest mistake parents make? Overpacking and overloading your little ones with stuff they won't use.
"If they don't want to wear it at home, they are not going to wear it at camp," said Malcolm Dunn, an REI Outdoor School senior instructor based in Seattle.
Sound familiar? Guilty as charged.
And the biggest rule of thumb for kids and parents is to wear water-friendly shoes so feet don't come home with blisters.
You want "sandals that won't fall off when getting in and out of the water. Flip-flops fall off and get lost," said Dunn. "Trips to the camp nurse are no fun!"
1. STATE Bags Kane Children's Backpack, $60, Amazon
It's durable, without being over-sized and unwieldy.
2. Contigo AUTOSEAL Chill Stainless Steel Water Bottle, $19, Amazon
The best leak-proof water bottle for kids we've ever used.
3. Lille 32oz Stainless Steel Thermos Lunch Box, $23, Amazon
It's cute, and keeps grub cold.
4. Banana Boat SunComfort Clear Spray Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50, $8, Walmart
This is one of the top-rated sunscreens for summer according to Consumer Reports.
5. KEEN Kids' Seacamp Ii CNX Sandal, $55, Amazon
We find these sturdy, comfortable and perfect for being in the water (and out).
6. The North Face Kids Zipline Rain Jacket, $55, Zappos
Lightweight and waterproof, which is all you need.
7. The North Face Kids Youth Sun Stash Hat, $22, Zappos
It's reversible and provides UPF 50 protection.
8. Natrapel Mosquito, Tick and Insect Repellent, 3.4 Ounce Pump, $6, Amazon
This product is DEET-free and protects for up to eight hours.
9. Kanu Surf Platinum Rash guard, $19, Amazon
This shirt provides solid UPF 50 protection.
10. AmazonBasics Beach Towel Cabana Stripe, Green, Pack of 2, $19, Amazon
They're bright. They're colorful. And, the price is right.
11. Minishade Polarized: Flexible Kids Sunglasses, $20, Amazon
These impact-resistant shades provide 100 percent polarized UV protection.