AUGUST 22, 2004
1. HOW TO ENTER
To enter, tell us in 500 words or less why you “wanna be” Campbell Brown or Lester Holt. Then make an original VHS videotape of yourself showing us your Weekend Today host talents.
The essay must be on an 8-1/2" x 11" piece of paper (one side only) and neatly handwritten, typed, or word-processed (“Essay”). Essays may not include profanity or other inappropriate content, may not depict WEEKEND TODAY’s image unfavorably, and must be deemed suitable by WEEKEND TODAY. Essays must be original, truthful, unpublished, created solely by the submitting applicant, must not have been submitted in any other competition, and must not infringe upon any rights of any third party, including but not limited to copyright, trademark, and rights of privacy and publicity. Modifying, enhancing or altering a third party’s pre-existing work does not qualify as applicant’s own original work. All essays must be written in English.
The video footage of your talents should last no longer than one minute (the "Video"). By entering, you and everyone appearing in Video agree that the Video may be broadcast on WEEKEND TODAY and in promotions and advertisements for WEEKEND TODAY. Videos must not include any music or singing. Videos must be original, truthful, unpublished, created solely by the submitting applicant, must not have been submitted in any other competition, and must not infringe upon any rights of any third party, including but not limited to copyright, trademark, and rights of privacy and publicity.
Limit one entry per household. Multiple entries received from any household will void all such additional entries. Entries that are incomplete, illegible, postage due or corrupted are void and will not be accepted.WEEKEND TODAY and NBC Universal, Inc. are not responsible for lost, late, postage due, mutilated, misdirected, illegible mail or entries. All entries become the sole property of NBC Universal, Inc. and none will be acknowledged or returned. Between August 22nd, 2004 and September 5, 2004, WEEKEND TODAY may air all or pieces of applicants’ Videotapes to promote WEEKEND TODAY’S Wanna Be (“Event”).
Print your name, address, telephone numbers (daytime and evening) and email address on two labels, and affix the labels to your Video and Essay. Send the Video and Essay along with a signed copy of the Affidavit of Eligibility/Publicity Release with the labels (“Application Materials”) to the following address:
WEEKEND TODAY, NBC, c/o WEEKEND TODAY’S WANNA BE, 30 Rockefeller Center, New York, New York 10112. All entries must be received by 11:59 pm ESTSeptember 3, 2004.
2. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
You must be a legal U.S. resident physically residing within the Continental United States (residents of Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico and Guam are excluded from entry and participation) who is 21 years of age or older as of March 12, 2004. Employees of NBC Universal, Inc. (“NBC”), MSNBC Cable LLC (“MSNBC”), NBC’s affiliated TV stations or Web site, General Electric, their respective advertising and promotion agencies, their parent, subsidiary and joint venture companies, as well as members of their immediate families and households (including children, spouses and siblings and/or persons living in the same households as such persons (whether related or not)) are not eligible. Applicants must also be of good moral character. WEEKEND TODAY reserves the right to exclude anyone convicted of a crime (other than moving violations of a misdemeanor type that did not involve personal injury, drugs or alcohol). Applicant must have nothing in their background that would be an embarrassment to NBC News or WEEKEND TODAY, and applicants may not be elected officials or currently running for any political office (local, state or federal). Each applicant must be willing to sign a publicity release and an affidavit attesting to the truth of the facts in the application form and attesting that each applicant meets all of the eligibility requirements and send this Affidavit/Publicity release with their Videotape and Essay. WEEKEND TODAY reserves the right to exclude applicants for these or any other reasons, in WEEKEND TODAY’s sole editorial discretion. Applicants must agree that, if selected as a Winner, they will be available to travel to New York City and appear on WEEKEND TODAY on a date chosen by WEEKEND TODAY, and will be prepared to host their own live segment of WEEKEND TODAY. The appearance on WEEKEND TODAY is currently scheduled to take place during the weeks of September 12, 2004 to September 19, 2004. This date is subject to change in the sole discretion of TODAY.
Please note that by entering you agree to undergo a background check conducted by WEEKEND TODAY and, if necessary, to sign waiver forms authorizing the release of personal and background information.
3. SELECTION OF THE WINNERS
Two (2) Winners, one(1) selected as Campbell Brown’s “Wanna Be” and one selected as Lester Holt’s “Wanna Be”, will be selected by WEEKEND TODAY ("judges") from eligible entries received. The judges will select the entries based on the following criteria in their sole discretion for the Video, which is 50% of the overall entry: 50% creativity, 25% appearance and 25% presentation. The judges will select the entries based on the following criteria in their sole discretion for the Essay, which is the other 50% of the overall entry: Creativity 25%; Strength of Argument 25%; Organization 25% and Correct Use of Language 25%. In the event of a tie, tied entries will be re-judged based on the above criteria. Decisions of judges are final. Additionally in the selection process, WEEKEND TODAY may elect to conduct an optional telephone interview with potential winners. Each Winner may be required to submit to a background check. If for any reason any of the Winners does not meet any of the above eligibility requirements in WEEKEND TODAY’S sole discretion, the Judges may select an alternate Winner. The decisions of the Judges are final and applicants agree to be bound by these decisions.
The Winners may be contacted by a live on air visit by WEEKEND TODAY to their home on September 12, 2004. WEEKEND TODAY reserves the right to arrive at potential Winner’s home unannounced. All applicants agree to make themselves available at their home on September 12, 2004 for this on-air appearance and announcement. Applicants agree that WEEKEND TODAY may record and broadcast WEEKEND TODAY advising applicant that he or she has been selected as a Winner.
5. THE PRIZE
The Prize consists of a trip to New York City to tour the WEEKEND TODAY studio, to consult with Lester Holt and Campbell Brown and to appear on a live segment of WEEKEND TODAY. Each Winner will receive one (1) roundtrip coach airline ticket from the major airport closest to the Winner’s home to New York City and will spend three (3) nights and four (4) days at New York City Hotel selected by WEEKEND TODAY. Each Winner will have the opportunity to tour the WEEKEND TODAY Studio and meet and learn the ropes from hosts Campbell Brown and Lester Holt. The Winner will then appear in a live segment on WEEKEND TODAY at a date and time to be specified by WEEKEND TODAY, in the sole discretion of WEEKEND TODAY. The trip to New York is currently scheduled for September 16, 2004 to September 19, 2004. The appearance on WEEKEND TODAY is currently scheduled to take place on Sunday, September 19th , 2004. These dates are subject to change in the sole discretion of WEEKEND TODAY. WEEKEND TODAY in its sole discretion shall determine the length, content and nature of the appearance. The right to appear on WEEKEND TODAY cannot be transferred or rescheduled or redeemed for cash.
WEEKEND TODAY reserves the right to substitute the appearance or elements thereof with a prize of equal or greater value at their sole discretion. TODAY further reserves the right to postpone or cancel the broadcast of the appearance for any reason, in the sole discretion of WEEKEND TODAY. The winner shall be responsible for applicable taxes and other expenses.
6. GENERAL CONDITIONS AND RELEASES
1. By entering, you agree to participate in telephone interviews with WEEKEND TODAY, to appear, through a surprise visit to your home on the WEEKEND TODAY show for the initial Winner introduction, to perform the tasks as directed by WEEKEND TODAY, to permit a film crew to shoot footage of you and your home, and to travel to New York and make yourself available to appear on WEEKEND TODAY at WEEKEND TODAY’s direction. Reasonable travel expenses, including standard hotel, transportation and meals in connection with the Winners’ in person appearance on WEEKEND TODAY, and any publicity and promotion activities required by WEEKEND TODAY, will be paid for by WEEKEND TODAY. Travel and hotel arrangements to be determined by WEEKEND TODAY. WEEKEND TODAY, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to provide ground transportation in lieu of air transportation. All travel and lodging will be at the risk of Winners. If Winner is unable to be notified, Winner is unable to travel on dates specified by WEEKEND TODAY, Winner is ineligible or Winner declines the Prize, then the Prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected by WEEKEND TODAY.
2. Winners agree to make themselves exclusively available to WEEKEND TODAY for publicity and promotion from the day applicant prepares entry to the final on-air appearance of the winners, and must agree that they will not allow interviews by other media outlets, including television, magazines, newspapers, radio, and internet, unless authorized by WEEKEND TODAY during this time.
3. Entry in this competition constitutes permission (except where prohibited by law) to use applicant’s Video, name, city, state, likeness, appearance and voice on WEEKEND TODAY for purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity without additional compensation.
4. Winners may not wear apparel that contains recognizable commercial logos during their appearances on WEEKEND TODAY. Winners’ on-air wardrobes are subject to WEEKEND TODAY’s approval in its sole discretion.
5. The program reserves the right to make public personal information about the applicants on-air, prior to, during, or following the competition. Applicants acknowledge that any negative information regarding an applicant that WEEKEND TODAY may disclose during the program may be more or less favorable than similar information disclosed by WEEKEND TODAY regarding other applicants.
6. In all disputes, WEEKEND TODAY is the sole judge and its actions are final.
7. Except where prohibited, all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the applicant and NBC Universal, Inc. in connection with the Sweepstakes, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the state of New York, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the state of New York, or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the state of New York. If any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to the Official Rules, or the breach of any term hereof, cannot be otherwise resolved, it shall be resolved by binding arbitration conducted in the County of New York, and administered by JAMS in accordance with its Streamlined Arbitration Rules and Procedures or subsequent versions thereof (the “JAMS Rules”). The JAMS Rules for selection of an arbitrator shall be followed, except that the arbitrator shall be an experienced arbitrator licensed to practice law in New York.
All applicants and Winners and their legal guardians if minors assume all liability for any injury or damages caused or claimed to be caused by their participation in this Event. All applicants and Winners release NBC Universal, Inc. (“NBC”), MSNBC Cable LLC (“MSNBC”), NBC’s affiliated TV stations or Web site, General Electric and their respective advertising and promotion agencies, their parents, subsidiaries and joint venture companies, as well as their respective officers, directors, and employees, from any such liability.
NBC, MSNBC, NBC’s affiliated TV stations or Web site, General Electric and its respective advertising and promotion agencies, their parent, subsidiary and joint venture companies, as well as their respective officers, directors, and employees assume no responsibility for any injury (including but not limited to any personal injury that may occur while on NBC premises or during tasks performed in connection with this Event), damage or losses of any kind to any applicant, or to any applicant’s or other person’s computer, relating to or resulting from participating in this contest, including downloading materials or software. NBC and its respective advertising and promotion agencies, their parent, subsidiary and joint venture companies, as well as their respective officers, directors, and employees are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, or telephone malfunctions of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by any means or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this event or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the entries in or in administration of this event.
NBC, MSNBC, NBC’s affiliated TV stations or Web site, General Electric are not responsible for errors or failures of any kind, for inaccurate transcription of entry information, for errors in any promotional or marketing materials, for errors in these rules, for any human or electronic error, or for entries that are stolen, misdirected, garbled, delayed by computer transmissions, lost, late, damaged, or postage due.
WEEKEND TODAY reserves the right to terminate the entry period prior to its scheduled end date and to choose among entries received prior to the date of such termination.
Applicants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by the decisions of the WEEKEND TODAY whose decisions are final. Failure to comply with these rules may result in disqualification from this contest. NBC reserves the right to permanently disqualify any person it believes has intentionally violated these rules.
No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited or restricted by applicable federal or state laws and regulations.