If you want to add current and wearable trend appeal to your wardrobe this fall, try two classic fabrics — tweed and velvet — to kick-start your look this season. Avril Graham, “Today” style editor and executive fashion and beauty editor of Harper's Bazaar, shares some pointers on how to add these trends to your wardrobe and look fabulous at every age.
For the 20-year-old
There is never a boring edge to the twenties. A sharp '60s vibe gives tweed a new edge, and a velvet look with a hip feel works well for the ever trendy 20-year-old.
- Velvet look: Military-style velvet top with ornate buttons by Nili Lotan; tight-leg jeans by Sass and Bide
- Tweed look: Tweed mini coat by APC, $546; hat by Kangol
For the 30-year-old
Sleek and modern coats are essential for the busy 30-year-old on the go. Practicality is the key for this age, keeping a sharp eye on trends.
- Velvet look: Cranberry-red velvet trench coat by Cynthia Steffe, $370
- Tweed look: Blue tweed belted wrap coat by Tocca, $475
For the 40-year-old
Always chic and well put together, today's 40-year-old wears stylish contemporary looks. Keeping in touch with the new is akin to Botox for your wardrobe.
- Velvet look: Velvet top by Anthropologie, $248; gray wool pants by TSE
- Tweed look: Winter white jacket with gold thread by J. Crew, $345; creme silk skirt by TSE; tank by Calvin Klein Intimates
For the 50-year-old For the ever-elegant 5--year-old, no matronly bulky fall tweeds or too-young velvets.
- Velvet look: Midnight-blue jacket and pants by Giorgio Armani
- Tweed look: Green tweed jacket, $198; and A-line skirt by Banana Republic, $98