1. Olympic gold medalist Evan Lysacek told Matt in an emotional interview that he will not compete in the upcoming Winter Games in Sochi due to an injury.
"It's very difficult for me to say that, but my road to Sochi ends here,'' the figure skater said.
2. Kate Snow sat down with real life “Lone Survivor” Marcus Luttrell – the former Navy SEAL who inspired the upcoming film – and the Afghan man who saved his life. Mohammad Gulab has had two members of his family killed and two more injured because of his rescue efforts, but he has no regrets.
"I will always have my honor, and I'll hold it until my death,” he said.
3. Tens of thousands of mourners, including almost a hundred world leaders, paid tribute to anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela at a memorial service in Soweto, South Africa.
“His struggle was your struggle. His triumph was your triumph," President Obama said in a speech to a full stadium. "Your dignity and hope found expression in his life, and your freedom, your democracy is his cherished legacy.”
4. Congratulations to Jason and Candace Mortenson, winners of the first-ever Orange Room Award!
TODAY fans voted the viral video – in which Jason wakes up from surgery in a haze and hits on Candace (his own wife!) – Most Memorable Moment.
5. Celebrity chef Graham Elliot, who tipped the scales at nearly 400 pounds, has lost 130 pounds since July.
“The fact that I couldn't get down on the ground and roll around and play with [my sons],” he told Natalie and Al. “I couldn't go to the park and play tag, or do any of those things... being healthy for my family was the trigger.”
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!