Are you a guy stuck on what to get for your girl? Or a gal who just can't find that perfect idea for your guy? Here are some great ideas for couples from Lisa Arbetter and Ariel Foxman of Cargo magazine!
Guys can give girls
Guys have a notoriously hard time buying gifts for others (we won't speculate why.) We have some items — a little bit of everything — for everyone a guy might have to buy for:
- Cashmere: Cashmere is good for everyone — from your girlfriend to your mom to a hostess at a party. Everyone loves cashmere, and it comes in so many different forms and fashions that you can't go wrong! Nothing says love like cashmere — cozy and warm and it can even be kinda sexy. Everything from throws, robes, gloves to cami sets come in this luxurious fabric, and the price range is perfect. Starting around $40 and up to $300, www.redenvelope.com
- Digital Camera: Kodak EasyShare V530 — as small as your cell phone and available in four colors — this five megapixel camera blends photography and video into one compact (and cute) device. Paired with the easy to use printer dock — the woman in your life will be ready to shoot great photos and take them right home to print her shots. $285(camera), $130 (printer dock); www.bestbuy.com
- Kate Spade leather date book: Pretty in pink — this leather trifold calendar date book with phone list and notepad is the perfect way to get 2006 started in an organized way! A great idea as a stocking stuffer for your wife, or as a gift for sisters, daughters and moms. The best part is the enviable Kate Spade name with a bargain price tag of $65. www.katespade.com
Girls can give guys
Every gal knows that guys are hard to buy for because they buy all of the cool stuff for themselves! But here are some ideas for the man in your life (so you don't have to get him another set of flannel pjs).
- Dremel tool set: The most complete set ever with 71 bits, multisaw and planer attachments. Comes in a cool carrying case and is a real bang for your buck at only $100! This versatile Dremel rotary tool comes with all the equipment you need to make accurate cuts, sharpen dull blades, refinish furniture and more. Simply connect the tool to any of the four included attachments and watch as your on-the-job tasks and home improvement plans get a whole lot easier. Comes complete with a heavy-duty carrying case that has enough space for all 71 of the included accessories, plus two extra bays for added storage. www.lowes.com
- Grill Master set: Give your guy the tools to make him the Grill God he thinks he is! This fabulous grill set has 20 pieces including spatula, tongs, corn holders and cleaning brush. A fabulous gift that he'll definitely use and abuse. $80, www.amazon.com
Couples can be hard to shop for. The first trick to finding a perfect gift is to stick with items that fit into the interests you know they have. Consider their hobbies, where they live, whether or not they have kids, where they work, etc. Knowing even a small amount of information about them can help lead you down the right path in gift giving. And, if you're not sure, food is a great option — it lets people try new things!
- Cheese lovers: Try a gift basket from Artisanal Cheese Company from famed chef Terence Brennan. These amazing gift baskets and samplers start around $60 and come with cheeses from around the world with great accoutrements (crackers, jams, etc.) www.artisanalcheese.com
- Wine lovers: Wine.com has great wine clubs that you can join, depending on your tastes and budgets. Some examples include “Wines of the World,” “Big Bold Reds,” etc. Starting around $85 for three months, wine clubs are finally reasonable! This is a great way to try new things. As an additional gift, you can pair with a wine carafe and glasses.
Of the month gifts
These are the gifts that keep on giving, and you can personalize based on your budget by choosing how many months you want to send. Try the Grateful Palate: Coffee Of The Month Club. Get one pound of a unique and fresh roasted coffee of a blend, custom designed for the Grateful Palate by a great winemaker. A different coffee surprise each month for only $149.95, plus shipping and handling, for an annual membership. www.gratefulpalate.com
When in doubt, go for a charity
This year more than ever people are turning to charitable donations as gifts. A great site that allows people to give to any charity you'd like (yes, you can even sign up your own favorite charity) is at www.whatgoesaround.org. This site allows both gift givers and receivers to register for their favorite charities, track their donations and send donation email confirmations. This site has a list of nearly one million non-profit organizations to choose from, so there's something for everyone, with a little extra meaning this holiday season.