Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound hanger steak, trimmed of any excess fat
- 2 pounds purple potatoes such as Purple Peruvians or All Blues, scrubbed
- 3/4 cup white corn kernels (about 1 large ear), or frozen corn, thawed
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 dashes Tabasco sauce, or to taste
DIRECTIONS In a small bowl, mix the garlic, chili powder, 1 tablespoon of the lime juice, the cumin, and salt until well combined. Massage this mixture into both sides of the hanger steak. Cover and refrigerate the meat for at least 2 hours, but no more than 6 hours.
Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. Drain and cool, then cut into quarters, or 2-inch chunks, whichever is smaller.
Position the broiler rack 4 inches from the heat and preheat the broiler. Place the hanger steak on a large lipped baking sheet. Broil, turning once, about 3 minutes each side for medium. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes. Cut it in half, then slice each piece into thin strips against the grain, cutting in long strokes with the knife at a 45-degree angle to the cutting board. Place the sliced steak, potatoes, corn, avocado, radishes, and scallions in a large bowl.
To make the dressing, place the cilantro and 1/4 cup lime juice in a small bowl. Whisk in the olive oil in a thin stream until the dressing is emulsified, about a minute. Stir in the salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce to taste. Pour the dressing over the salad, toss, and serve immediately
Add one or two of any of the following to the salad before it’s dressed:3 jarred pimientos, thinly sliced 1 cup orange supremes or canned mandarin orange sections 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans 1/2 cup pitted, thinly sliced green olives 1/2 cup pitted, sliced black oil-cured olives (not water packed) 1/2 cup toasted pepitas 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds One 7-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained