IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Robert Blake’s deposition delayed

Lawyers seek resolution of wrongful-death suit
/ Source: The Associated Press

Actor Robert Blake will not have to appear next week for a deposition in a wrongful-death lawsuit filed by the family of his slain wife as attorneys try to resolve the case before it goes to trial.

Family attorney Eric Dubin and Blake’s attorneys met with a judge Wednesday but no resolution was reached. Both sides were ordered to return April 14. Trial is scheduled for July 7.

Blake, 71, was scheduled to give a deposition in the civil case April 5; it has been pushed back to an undetermined date.

Blake was acquitted earlier this month of murdering his wife, Bonny Lee Bakley, in May 2001. During the trial, both the prosecution and the defense portrayed Bakley as a con woman who had trapped Blake into marrying her by becoming pregnant with their daughter, Rosie.

The civil lawsuit was filed in 2002 on behalf of Bakley’s four children, including Rosie, who is being cared for by Blake’s adult daughter.

Blake said following his acquittal he had spent $10 million over the past five years, presumably in legal fees, and doesn’t have much money left. On Wednesday, his attorneys agreed.

“He owes more money in taxes than he has,” said M. Gerald Schwartzbach, his criminal attorney who appeared in court on behalf of Blake. “We will open the books to the plaintiff.”

Dubin said there may be efforts to reach a resolution through mediation.

“The children of Bonny Lee Bakley have absolutely no sympathy for Robert Blake,” Dubin said.