Get the latest from TODAY
Servings: 6 to 8.
- 2 teaspoons to 2 tablespoons mild vegetable oil or butter
- Cooking spray (optional)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups Golden Stock (page 140)
- 4 cups fresh or canned pumpkin or butternut squash puree
- 1 can whole tomatoes with their juices, pulse/chopped medium fine but not pureed in a processor
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Minced Italian parsley
DIRECTIONS Heat the oil or butter in a nonstick soup pot, or one that has been sprayed with cooking spray, over medium heat. (Omit the cooking spray if using the larger amount of oil or butter.) Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the stock and heat through. Add the pumpkin, whisking in. Heat again. Add the tomatoes and maple syrup and heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot, garnished with parsley.
The pumpkin can be replaced in whole or part by butternut squash or any other sweet hard squash or by sweet potatoes or yams, or a combination of all these.