Prince William and Duchess Kate have taken legal action to protect the privacy of their one-year-old son against a particular paparazzo.
"The Duke and Duchess have taken legal steps to ask that an individual ceases harassing and following both Prince George and his nanny as they go about their ordinary daily lives," Buckingham Palace spokesman James Roscoe said in a statement Thursday.
“There is reason to suspect that the individual may been placing Prince George under surveillance and monitoring his daily routines for a period of time."
The photographer, Nirah Tanna, was seen last week at a London Park following the toddler and his nanny, and has been approached several times in the past few years by palace authorities.
“The Duke and Duchess understand the particular public role that Prince George will one day inherit but while he is young, he must be permitted to lead as ordinary a life as possible,” Roscoe said. “No parent would tolerate the suspicion of someone pursuing and harassing their child and carer whilst their child is playing in a public park or going about their daily activities."
Tanna's lawyers issued a seven-page letter responding to the Palace's statement. The letter says Tanna has been "lawfully and respectfully taking photographs of the Royal Family for almost ten years", and he has "not acted unlawfully in any way. He has not harassed or intimidated Prince George, his Nanny or any other person. Nor would he wish to."
Editor's note: This story has been updated to include a response from lawyers for Nirah Tanna, the photographer accused of harassing Prince George. The story was originally published at 8:32 a.m.