- 1 pound penne, ziti, or other cut pasta
- About 1 cup fresh ricotta
- 1 tablespoon softened butter (optional)
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup freshly shelled or frozen peas
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it. Cook the pasta. While it is cooking, mix together the ricotta, butter, and half of the parmesan in the bottom of a warm bowl. About 2 minutes before the pasta is done, add the peas to the pot and remove about a cup of the pasta cooking water; use as much of it as you need to smooth the ricotta mixture into a sauce.
TIP: Drain the pasta-peas mixture and toss with the ricotta mixture, add additional pasta cooking water if necessary. Serve, passing the remaining parmesan at the table.