Get the latest from TODAY
This is not wallflower preppy. The preppy fashions we are seeing today are classics amped up to make them trendy, yet they are also very wearable. “In Style” magazine lists updated takes on preppy staples, featuring slimmer silhouettes and more modern patterns and motifs in bright, bold colors and fun combinations:
Weekend preppy look for him
These pants are not recommended for those weary of patterns. Take a risk by breaking out of your jeans-and-khakis rut and sporting some bright, green paisley pants. This pair is from Lilly Pulitzer, whom we typically think of as a women's designer. The look works well with a solid polo and tennis sweater, even if you're not going to hit the courts. The Sperry Topsiders are a preppy must. Cuff your pants for a fun, casual feel.
Designers are also showing various prints in other bold colors such as red and orange — it's an alternate option to wearing a busy pattern on top. Don't be afraid to sport a pair of statement pants on the weekend.
- Cricket V-Neck Sweater — Lilly Pulitzer, Italian Cashmere, $550;
- Phipps Pant Printed — Lilly Pulitzer, $195;
- Suede Belt — Lilly Pulitzer, $125 ;
- Navy Polo — Zooey by Alice Heller, $84; available at Gerrys NYC,
- Orange Slim Fit Polo — Brooks Brothers, $55; at Brooks Brothers,
- White Seafarer 2 Eye Perf Leather Shoes - Sperry Topsider, $79.95;
Weekend preppy look for herThis is the updated, fresh take on preppy. As long as you're comfortable, don't be afraid to wear a short pair of shorts. This pair combines embroidered whales (a preppy staple) with skulls to create a modern take on the look.
Don't be afraid to mix patterns. This blue gingham halter is great for summer, and the blue and white fabric with pink polka dots adds a feminine, yet classic feel. Pair the look with some funky wedges and a sporty tote like this one from Lacoste. The oversized alligator is a twist on the label's insignia to remind us this is not your average preppy look.
- Gingham Tie-Neck Top — TIBI, $183 ; TIBI Boutique NY, 212.966.3773
- Skull & Whale Motif Shorts — Libertine for Target, $24.99 ;
- Red, White & Blue Floral Print Wedges — Bettye Muller, $395;
- Tote — Lacoste, Sunny Croc Beach Bag $135, available at Lacoste Boutiques
Work a preppy look for himThis look is perfect for a summer day in the office — it combines a classic madras blazer, using softer colors in pinks and blues in place of the traditional primary-color mix. Men can absolutely wear pink, and have even been spotted in bright (hot) pinks and lime green lately.
If bold and bright is not for you, this classic pink button-down with stylish french cuffs is a perfect way to keep it classic and on trend. The days of pleated khaki trousers are gone, and have been replaced with slimmer fit, flat-front-cut trousers as featured. Pairing a bold, print-heavy jacket with a timeless ensemble makes a statement without being over the top.
- Patchwork Madras Jacket — Haspel, $250; available at Frank Stella Clothiers, NYC and Boston,
- Shirt — Ted Baker London, $110; available at Bloomingdale's
- Khaki Trousers — Parke & Ronen, $168;
- Caramel Leather O Ring Belt — J. Press, $105; available at J. Press stores,
- Leather Bag — Lacoste, Elegance Business Case, $595; available at Lacoste Boutiques
- Leather Wingtip Kerala Shoes — Ben Sherman, $120 ; available at Ben Sherman Stores and
Work a preppy look for herThis outfit is easy, breezy and versatile. The pretty floral-print dress worn with a tailored, crisp white blazer is a smart combination that is totally appropriate for the office. Metallic sandals give a dressy feel with a bit of sparkle.
Preppy fashion is all about bold color choices, and these pink and lime green floral patterns are certainly bright without being over the top — keeping a simple color palette with a few coordinating bright colors makes the look vibrant without being overwhelming. Top the blazer with a luxe belt to accentuate your waist, and add some fabulous and fun hoop earrings to finish the look. Take the blazer off, and toss on some heels to be ready for a night out.
- Jacquard Sophia Dress — Lilly Pulitzer, $248;
- White Corded Katama Blazer — Vineyard Vines, $225 ;
- Gold Metallic Sandals — Jack Rogers, $89.00; available at Murray's Toggery, Nantucket, Mass. 508.228.0437,
- Jacquard Tote - Bluefly.com; $289.99;
For more great fashion tips and information, visit